Tips to Remember
- Because there is no humidity or heat, the frigid weather will make you feel more energized and alert.
- You will want to exercise a lot more in the cold weather so you can burn more fat.
- Small doses of sunlight will not only improve your mood but also help you get some vitamin D.
- Exercising improves your immunity against cold and flu. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, when you exercise for a few minutes every day, you can be protected against viral and bacterial infections.
Great Outdoor Activities in the Cold Weather
- Brisk walking
- Raking leaves
- Shoveling snow
- Ice skating
Keeping Yourself Warm and SafeWhen you exercise in the cold weather, it is very important to keep yourself warm and dry. To do this, you have to layer clothing so that you can protect yourself from cold weather dangers such as frostbite and hypothermia.The body loses much heat when the temperature is cold and there are strong winds and damp conditions. The National Weather Service mentioned that a 30-degree weather with a 30-mile-per-hour speed can feel like 15 degrees cold. If you get wet, the cold feeling will be worse. Therefore, it is crucial to wear thick clothing as it provides insulation and traps heat.It is not advised to wear clothing made of cotton when going out. That is because when this material becomes wet with snow or sweat, moisture gets trapped. As a result, you will feel heavier and colder.For your first layer of clothing, wear something that removes moisture from your skin. You can wear clothes with moisture-wicking material such as the ones used in quality sportswear. Then, wear a piece of clothing made of fleece and wear something thin and waterproof.
Being Aware of the Signs of HypothermiaWhen your body temperature falls lower than 35 degrees Celsius or around 95 degrees Fahrenheit, this could be hypothermia. It happens when your body cannot generate ample energy to maintain your body’s internal temperature warm enough which can be fatal.Hypothermia Signs:
- Poor coordination
- Slowed reactions
- Cold hands and feet
- Mentally confused
- Mumbling of words
- Indoor circuit
- Household chores such as sweeping and vacuuming the floors
- Walking in the mall
- Stair climbing
- Roller Skating